Sports Medicine, Sports Medicine - Athletic Training
The Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine will assist in leading a successful NCAA Division II athletic program at Regis University by serving as a member of the staff leadership team that is committed to excellence, integrity and advancing the Departments' mission and strategic vision. The athletic programs are the front porch of the institution and it is paramount that the assistant athletic director for sports medicine operates her/his program in a manner that is representative of Regis University. Excellence shall be attained through top quality health care for student athletes, communication with athletic staff, and superior customer services for all entities with whom the athletic training program interacts. An atmosphere of care for the student-athletes health and well-being must be the driving principal of the Regis University sports medicine and strength and conditioning program.
The assistant athletic director for sports medicine shall perform all duties pertaining to her/his program. Duties include but are not limited to:
• Hire and Supervise a Sports Medicine and Strength and Conditioning Staff: Responsible for hiring qualified support staff to assist in operating the athletic training and strength and conditioning programs. Assistant athletic trainers and the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach will report directly to the Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine. Each staff member is expected to participate in Athletic Department and Regis University initiatives as determined by the Director of Athletics;
• Provide Medical Care: Provide emergency medical evaluation, treatment, and injury triage to student athletes during practice and/or competition. Design and fabricates protective equipment and apply appropriate taping/wrapping to support extremities and prevent further aggravation to existing injuries. Ensure the proper fitting of protective team equipment, provide daily follow-up care and evaluation of the injured/ill athletes and communicate with appropriate coaching and athletic staff regarding status of injury/illness and participation capabilities. Work with the Regis physical therapy program to provide any post-op or complicated injury rehabilitation care.
• Game and Practice Coverage Scheduling: The assistant athletic director for sports medicine will coordinate practice and/or game coverage, schedules, assigns responsibilities, and supervises athletic training staff.
• Monitor and Balance each Programs Budget: The assistant athletic director for sports medicine will oversee the budget responsibilities of inventory, supply bid allocation, purchasing and maintenance of supplies, materials, and insurance contracts. Oversee Athletic Training Room facility and annual maintenance schedules, as well as the acquisition of capital outlay items.
• General Administrative Duties: assist in the planning and implementation of annual department events, fulfill Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) obligations. Including attend conference meetings, serve on conference committees, and assist in the planning and hosting of RMAC and NCAA championships. Serve on regional and national committees, serve on campus committees, as well as represent Regis at national conventions and seminars
• Working with Team Physician and Other Sports Medicine Professionals: The Assistant Athletic Director Sports Medicine will work closely with the team physicians and extended sports medicine staff regarding the care and management of injuries and illnesses. This includes serving as the liaison between athletic department and the medical community, regarding the health care of the student athletes with referrals to physicians, Regis physical therapy program and other allied health care professionals.
• Medical Documentation and Billing: The Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine will oversee the documentation of injuries, treatments, and rehabilitation of injured athletes. Maintains student athlete’s pre-season paperwork, injury/treatment documentation, medical billing requirements, and communication and Internet access hardware and software. Ensures compliance of Federal Rules and Regulations (HIPAA) regarding confidentiality and electronic communication.
• Organization and Communication: The Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine will effectively communicate verbally and in writing; develop effective working relationships with athletes and to serve as a liaison among athletes, coaching staff, parents, physicians and other health professionals. He/she must also possess exceptional organizational skills in order to ensure a well-run sports medicine program and therefore a flawless athletic training experience for the student athletes.
• Professional Development: The Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine must engage in professional development for yourself and your staff. He/she is responsible for keeping with the current trends and developments; as well as the implementation in order to perform duties more effectively. Additionally, must attend pertinent professional opportunities and classes including but not limited to NATA, RMAC and NCAA meetings;
• Promote the Brand of the Athletic Department and Regis University: Shall continually strive to enhance the image of the Regis University Athletics Department and its programs through in-game conduct, inter-personal contacts with parents, visitors, university faculty/staff, and community citizens. Additionally, participate in Athletic Department and University sponsored events and initiatives;
• Fundraise for the Athletic Department: Required to fully participate in department fundraising activities, fundraising events, university campaigns and special project campaigns;
• Create an Atmosphere of Compliance: Know, recognize, and comply with the laws, policies, rules, and regulations governing of the NCAA, the RMAC and the Regis Athletic Department. Supervise and ensure that any assistants and any other employees and/or volunteers for whom you are administratively responsible comply with the aforesaid policies, rules and regulations. Immediately advise the Regis compliance director if you have reasonable cause to believe violations, whether by employees or students, have occurred or will occur.
The Associate Athletic Director for Student Services will be the Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine direct report in all matters with Regis University. In order to insure a superior strength and conditioning and athletic training NCAA Division II program, performance of these duties will be continually evaluated and monitored.
Bachelor's degree in athletic training or a related field required; master’s degree preferred. NATABOC certification and be registered with the State of Colorado.
Internal Number: R001406
About Regis University
Regis University is located in the Mile High City with the unmatched backdrop of the Rocky Mountains, but Colorado’s vibrancy is just one of the many reasons students are drawn to Regis.
Regis aims to develop students as a whole person. Students from all faith backgrounds are bonded together by the common purpose of building a better society and are shaped by Jesuit, Catholic traditions, which emphasize the importance of critical thinking, having a global perspective and standing up for those who do not have a voice.
With a small student-to-faculty ratio, our award-winning faculty is dedicated to empowering graduates with the skills and perspective needed to harness their passions and talents and spur change on a local and global scale.