Sports Medicine, Sports Medicine - Athletic Training
Head Athletic Trainer/Lecturer. Position will be Head Athletic Trainer and teaching of one-three credit course per regular semester.
Update and maintain COVID-19 athletic training department protocols in alignment with the most up to date recommendations from the NCAA , CDC and local health department.
Primary Responsibilities as Head Athletic Trainer
1. Provide athletic training services as direct by the Director of Athletics and the Team Physician(s), including attendance at schedule team practices and competitions as necessary.
2. Coordinate the scheduling of all student-athletes for physical examinations and medical referrals including to campus health center.
3. Make decisions regarding a student-athletes ability to practice and/or compete in consultations with the Team Physician(s).
4. Oversee the hiring, training and supervision of any graduate, intern or student work study with regards to all necessary duties.
5. Identify professional medical service needs of the entire intercollegiate athletics department regarding the scheduling and coordination of athletic training staff for coverage of team practices and competitions.
6. Consult with the Team Physician(s) for guidance on the treatment of injured student-athletes and report on their progress.
7. Evaluate injuries in conjunction with contract athletic trainers.
8. Maintain the athletic training rooms and equipment in good working condition and meticulous sanitation within the allocated budget.
9. Maintain supplies for the treatment of injuries first aid, and rehabilitation.
10. Oversee the compilation, input, organization and maintenance of all medical records on department student-athletes and share in the responsibility and organizing the athletic training room electronics file system.
11. Secure and maintain all student-athletes insurance policy information. Head Athletic Trainer is responsible that all department athletes maintain primary medical insurance coverage and provide proof as necessary.
12. Review and approve insurance claims and medical bills associated with a student-athletes intercollegiate sports injury.
13. Organize and serve as On-Site Coordinator for the NCAA drug testing program.
14. Direct the athletics department's substance education and testing program based on the departmental drug policy.
15. Oversee the organization and administration of an Exposer Control Plan for Blood borne Pathogens as dictated by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
16. Oversee emergency management protocol and lightning policy for all athletic teams in conjunction with the Team Physician(s), area emergency medical services and local hospitals.
17. Maintain requirements of continuing education for certification set by the NATA and State of West Virginia.
Master's Degree, NATA Certification and ability to gain licensure in the State of West Virginia.
Three years' experience in athletic training in the collegiate setting. Experience with COPLAC member institutions and/or NCAA Division II as an athletic trainer, student athlete or coach.
Internal Number: 0003733
About Shepherd University
Shepherd University is a state-supported institution within the West Virginia system of higher education. From its beginnings over 130 years ago, the University has evolved into a comprehensive center of higher learning, serving a number of related, yet distinct roles:
The University offers baccalaureate degrees in a wide range of fields, encompassing the liberal arts, business administration, teacher education, the social and natural sciences, and other career-oriented areas.
The University provides credit courses for individuals with no degree aspirations, but who seek to broaden and update their knowledge in either familiar or new fields of intellectual endeavor.
For the northern Shenandoah Valley region as a whole, the University is a center for noncredit continuing education, public service, and convenient citizen access to extensive programs in art, music, theater, athletics, and other areas of public interest. Shepherd University has a responsibility to extend its resources beyond the campus, bringing higher education closer to those who seek it.