Sacred Heart University, a NCAA Division I member of the Northeast Conference in Fairfield, CT. is accepting applications for the position of Student-Athlete Engagement Specialist-Academic Services & Student-Athlete Development-Graduate Assistant. This position reports directly to the Senior Associate Director of Athletics-Academic Services & Student Development. This position will assist student-athletes in pursuit of their educational, career health & wellness goals by developing and assisting with plans to increase retention and graduation rates.
• Organize and assist with student-athlete study halls by coordinating, and recording hours.
• Plan and coordinate academic support by scheduling academic enrichment specialists as needed to maximize their use and university academic support resources.
• Assisting with student-athlete advisory committee, community service initiatives, administrative, operational support and internal/external multi-media communications of support services programming.
• Acting as primary liaison for teams as assigned. Schedule and conduct academic support meetings, progress reports and monitor academic performance during the semester.
• Life Skills Program: Responsible for creating, planning, and presenting workshops during each semester. Communicate with Jandrisevits Learning Center, Library Services-Writing/Online resources, Career Services, and other on-campus offices in order to facilitate guest speakers, joint workshops initiatives, etc.
Knowledge and Skills Needed
Enrolled as a graduate student at Sacred Heart University in the first year of a graduate program.
Strong interpersonal communications skills with ability to listen well and work effectively with diverse groups.
High energy and a strong interest in working directly with student-athletes in a student services capacity.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Excellent presentation skills for speaking to small or large groups.
Highly organized with demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications, Social Media, and experience in Excel preferred.
Willingness to be flexible with scheduling and possess a strong work ethic.
Additional Salary Information: This is a part-time position from August 1, 2021 to May 31, 2022. Compensation is $10,000 tuition waiver and $2,600 stipend,
About Sacred Heart University
Sacred Heart University, the second-largest independent Catholic university in New England, offers more than 80 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and certificate programs on its main campus in Fairfield, Conn., located less than 60 miles from Manhattan and approximately 150 miles from Boston. With its five miles of shoreline, marinas, parks, open space and plenty of shopping and fine dining, Fairfield is consistently recognized as a top community in the Northeast in which to live. In 2018 the town earned an A+ in a 'report card' by Niche on "Best Places to Live" in Connecticut. Sacred Heart also has satellites in Connecticut, Luxembourg and Ireland. It comprises more than 300 acres of land, including an 18-hole golf course and the former global headquarters of General Electric. Rooted in the 2000-year-old Catholic intellectual tradition and the liberal arts, Sacred Heart embraces a vision for social justice and educates students in mind, body and spirit to prepare them personally and professionally to make a difference in the global community. More than 8,500 students attend the University's six colleges: Arts & Sciences; Health Professions; Nursing; the Jack Welch College of Busin...ess; the Isabelle Farrington College of Education; and St. Vincent's College. Consistently recognized for excellence, The Princeton Review includes SHU in its guides, Best 382 Colleges-2018 Edition, "Best in the Northeast" and Best 267 Business Schools-2018 Edition. It also placed SHU on its lists for "Best College Theater" and "Most Engaged in Community Service," each of which comprises only 20 U.S. schools. U.S.News & World Report ranks SHU in its Best Colleges 2018 guidebook and calls SHU the fourth "Most Innovative School" in the North. The Chronicle of Higher Education also names SHU one of the fastest-growing Roman Catholic universities in its 2016 almanac. .