Lehigh University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Lehigh University provides comprehensive benefits including partner benefits.
Responsible for specific duties assigned by the Director of Sports Medicine. Provide the utmost quality of health care for all student-athletes to ensure their physical, mental, emotional and educational well-being. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Health Care and Medical Services *Minimize risk of injury and illness of student-athletes impacted by or involved in a specific activity through awareness, education and intervention *Interpret pre-participation and other relevant screening information in accordance with accepted and applicable guidelines to minimize the risk of injury and illness *Administer baseline orthopedic, podiatric and concussion screening for new student-athletes *Identify and educate student-athletes through appropriate communication methods about use of personal protective equipment by following accepted procedures and guidelines *Monitor environmental conditions using appropriate methods and guidelines to facilitate student-athlete safety *Maintain or improve physical conditioning for injured student-athlete by designing and implementing programs *Diagnose student-athletes who have medical conditions or injuries that limit their abilities to move and perform functional activities utilizing standardized evidence-based evaluation techniques and clinical reasoning *Observe standardized OSHA guidelines to guard against infectious disease and biohazard materials *Utilize emergency action plan to facilitate immediate and effective emergency care of student-athletes *Perform immediate and emergency care procedures to prevent the exacerbation of health-related conditions to reduce the risk factors for morbidity and mortality *Utilize appropriate referral strategies, while stabilizing and/or preventing exacerbation of the condition(s), to facilitate the timely transfer of care for health-related conditions beyond the scope of practice of the Athletic Trainer *Develop student-athlete rehabilitation plan including short and long term goals to restore function *Administer treatment for injury, illness and/or health-related conditions using appropriate methods to facilitate injury protection, recovery and/or optimal functioning for individual(s) *Administer therapeutic exercises and modalities using appropriate techniques and procedures to aid recovery and restoration of function *Apply taping, braces, splints or other assistive devices according to appropriate practices in order to facilitate injury protection to achieve optimal functioning for the individual *Reassess the status of injuries, illnesses and/or health-related conditions using appropriate techniques and documentation strategies to determine appropriate treatment, rehabilitation and/or reconditioning and to evaluate readiness to return to activity *Provide guidance and/or referral to specialist for individual(s) and groups through appropriate communication strategies to restore an individual's optimal functioning *Develop clinical and functional rehabilitation plan for student-athletes who will be off campus for an extended period of time *Provide health care services for the Sports Medicine clinical operation, primary and secondary sport program assignments and for intercollegiate Athletics practices and events
2. Administration and Management *Contribute to annual program goals, objectives, operational policies and procedures, strategic plan and metrics for the Sports Medicine program *Complete medical records and documentation that comply with organizational, association and regulatory standards *Maintain understanding of NCAA and League compliance requirements, HIPAA compliance requirements, program, Department and University fiscal administration *Complete administrative duties pertinent to primary and secondary sport program assignments *Complete mandatory reports, attend meetings and respond to supervisory requests *Assist with the year round recruit medical screening process, annual pre-participation process, acquisition of student-athlete medical records and the on-campus team physician clinics for student-athletes *Complete various internal tracking documents *Maintain understanding of professional practices and guidelines; maintain an understanding of statutory and regulatory provisions and professional standards of the practice of Athletic Training in order to provide for the safety and welfare of student-athletes *Complete administrative duties pertinent to the Sports Medicine program *Contribute to injury and illness protocols for the Sports Medicine program and initiatives and special projects for the Sports Medicine program
3. Supervision and Leadership *Contribute to position searches, interviews and recommendations regarding the hiring of staff *Assist in the supervision of interns, wage employees, work study and volunteer personnel *Direct supervision of student-athletes associated with primary and secondary sport program assignments *Assist with supervision and mentoring of all student-athletes within the Sports Medicine facility *Promote and reinforce diversity commitment in all supervisory and leadership responsibilities *Promote and reinforce the Institutional and Departmental mission, vision, values and priorities within and beyond the Department staff including public audiences *Contribute to initiatives aimed at improving use of technology, clinical techniques, execution of existing policies, procedures, and protocols, productivity and evaluation systems
4. Educational Programs and Services *Educate student-athletes regarding the value of injury prevention *Implement prevention programs based upon injury trends associated with primary and secondary sport program assignments *Educate student-athletes, parents, coaches and administrators regarding important medical issues utilizing a multidimensional approach *Promote healthy lifestyle behaviors using appropriate education and communication strategies to enhance wellness and minimize the risk of injury and illness *Educate student-athletes, parents, coaches and administrators by communicating information about the injuries, illnesses or health-related conditions to encourage compliance with recommended care *Contribute to initiatives and special projects for the Sports Medicine program
5. Professional Development/Advancement *Engage in personal development as a healthcare professional *Attend clinical symposia, presentations and in-services necessary to fulfill continuing education requirements for professional certification and state licensure *Participate in active research and/or in the review of such research to maintain a current clinical knowledge base *Improve the use of technology, clinical techniques, execution of existing policies, procedures and protocols, productivity and evaluation systems
6. Constituent and Other Relations *Develop, foster and maintain effective relationships with student-athletes, coaches, parents, administrators, team physicians, consultants, department staff and University staff *Support program sustainability, growth and development through internal and external liaison relationships *Encourage student-athletes to be distinctive in academics, athletics, service and leadership *Establish professional rapport with student-athletes, parents and coaches associated with primary and secondary sport program assignments *Provides consultative services to students, parents, coaches and administrators.
Position Number: S83470
The duties of the position do not allow for a remote work option; the employee in this position will be required to work on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
Non-traditional hours including nights, weekends and holidays
This position works with minors
This position is responsible for driving university-owned vehicles as a routine function, therefore a valid Pennsylvania Driver's License and a good driving record is required
Will often be required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to touch, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and lift up to 100 pounds
Master's Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience; experience as a Certified/Licensed Athletic Trainer in the collegiate setting preferred
One to three years related work experience
NATA National Certification, State Licensure and CPR/First Aid Certification preferred
Supervisory experience preferred
Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and a high level of customer service required
Ability to build, foster and maintain positive professional relationships
Solid decision making and problem solving skills
Solid writing ability and organizational skills
Solid computer skills with experience using word processing and spreadsheet software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.