The Shepherd University Athletic Department is looking for a Graduate Assistant for Athletic Administration. The individual in this position will work closely with our athletic administrative team to assist with the operational needs of a NCAA Division II athletic department, and will receive invaluable experience working with our programs, student-athletes, coaches, and campus staff.
- Work with the Assistant Athletic Director for External Affairs, as well as the Shepherd University Foundation, to assist with donor relations and alumni engagement. This includes benefit fulfilment, the mailing of correspondence and tax receipts, fulfilment of donor requests, and game day interaction with alumni and friends of the university.
- Assist with the creation and sales of corporate advertising opportunities for the athletic department. This includes assisting with the creation of sponsorship packages, package sales, and corporate account customer service.
- Assist in the management of the Shepherd University Athletic Club, the official giving organization of Shepherd University Athletics, including the creation of marketing materials, newsletters, graphics, and social media posts.
- Assist with the planning, coordination and supervision of athletics fundraising events.
- Assist the Associate Director of Athletics/Compliance with eligibility reviews, CARA logs, progress towards degree requirements, general ARMS software usage, NCAA compliance assistant, and any other compliance related duties as assigned.
- Help manage the athletic department's official social media accounts. This includes routine posting, the creation of marketing graphics, and the creation and implementation of a departmental social media calendar. This role will be tasked with innovating and growing our reach and exposure through our social media channels.
- Assist with the production of "Beyond the Horns", the official podcast of Shepherd University Athletics. This role will include both creating content for the podcast as well as editing and producing a professional product to disperse to the fans of Ram Nation.
- Assist the department with all game operational duties. This includes public address scripting and announcing for events, venue set-up and tear-down, fan engagement and management, and supervision of student and game-day workers. Also, the completion of other game day duties as assigned by the Vice President for Athletics.
- Assist the department with ticket operations for our football, volleyball, men's and women's soccer, and men's and women's basketball events.
- Manage departmental interns and game-day workers.
- Other duties as assigned by athletics administration.
A bachelor's degree in the fields of sports management, marketing, business, communications, or another related field and acceptance into a graduate program at Shepherd University is required.
A criminal background check will be required as a condition of employment.
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills - Social media savvy - Experience with Photoshop or another graphic creation/editing software - Experience with videography and editing skills - Excellent planning, time management, and organizational skills - Ability to take direction and meet deadlines is a must - Experience with sales and customer service skills is a plus
To apply for this position, click the "Apply On Employer's Site" button on this page. When directed to the Shepherd University HR site, click on "Student Employment Positions" in the top menu. From there, scroll and find the "Athletic Department Graduate Assistant" listing. Click "View" and apply.
Please direct any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Salary Information: The graduate assistant position allows for full tuition (the student is responsible for all fees associated with the classes), on-campus housing, on-campus basic meal plan, and provides a stipend of $4,000 per year.
Internal Number: 0003697
About Shepherd University
Established in 1871, Shepherd University is a public liberal arts college offering more than 90 programs of study to the residents of West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania. Set on a 323-acre campus perched high above the Potomac River, Shepherd provides the 3,700 student population a personal touch with a 15:1 student to faculty ratio and an average class size of 20.
Located only 90 minutes from Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, the university offers a wide variety of internship and job opportunities in local entrepreneurial initiatives as well as in national and international industries. Shepherd’s safe and convenient location opens a world of vibrant cultural and educational possibilities to students.
The university fields 15 NCAA Division II athletic teams and offers more than 100 clubs and organizations, many with a strong emphasis on student community service. Shepherd University is a military friendly campus and is a proud partner in the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs Yellow Ribbon Program.
Along with many career, study abroad, and honors opportunities, Shepherd is also the home to the Contemporary American Theater Festival, the Geo...rge Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War, the Center for Regional Innovation, Bonnie and Bill Stubblefield Institute for Civil Political Communications, and the Robert C. Byrd Center for Congressional History and Education.