The Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant (“Graduate Assistant”) is responsible to the Assistant Athletic Director for Communications and Media Services for all duties associated with the planning and implementing of the Athletic Department’s communication plan in accordance with Northern Kentucky University (NKU), Horizon League and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) guidelines. The Graduate Assistant is responsible for coordinating the communication efforts – including, but not limited to, news releases, media accommodation, website content, social media content, sport statistics, athletic publications, etc. – for a minimum of two team sports. The Graduate Assistant will communicate effectively with each athletic department, as well as campus marketing and communications, to promote the University’s Athletics programs. The Graduate Assistant aids the Assistant AD for Communications and Media Services in development of programming, promotional activities, public relations and support services. The Graduate Assistant will also work closely with the Director of Digital Media and student workers. Primary Responsibilities
• Full athletic communication support for a minimum of two (2) sports programs.
• Maintain daily contact with print and electronic media providing player profiles, statistics, coaches’ biographies, historical facts, opponent information and both Horizon League and NCAA information.
• Write full-length stories/game recaps for distribution to media outlets.
• Compose social media content for NKU Athletics and individual sport programs
• Maintain/Create publications and regularly create digital content (such as graphics) for use with website, social media, etc. using Adobe Creative Suite.
• Provide support to the department’s digital (video) efforts, including player/coach features and assistance with ESPN live streaming broadcasts of home sporting events.
• Assist in maintaining NKUNorse.com.
• Coordinate with external areas within athletic department on a regular-basis, providing assistance to departments of marketing/ticketing and development concerning revenue generation.
• Provide support for select athletic events not part of assigned sports.
• Update daily statistics, records and historical facts. Maintain and provide departmental statistics for report to NCAA, Horizon League, opponents, media and the campus.
• Supervise student employees and keep in contact with off-campus personnel to work home athletic events.
• Develop a positive relationship with all media contacts and provide services to radio/TV personalities when assigned.
• Edit content for assigned sport programs and provide editorial support for other sports.
• Report to NCAA, National Coaches Associations and the Horizon League weekly updates on statistics for the sports programs.
• Comply with NKU, Horizon League and NCAA regulations.
• Travel with selected teams during the regular season and post season.
• Assist with production of video content.
• Help publicize summer camps.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications Must be accepted into an NKU graduate program and enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit hours, maintaining a 3.0 GPA or better. Individuals accepted into an Accelerated Online graduate program are not eligible for a graduate assistant position. Position is under contract for one academic year with option for renewal. Experience in Adobe Creative Suite and StatCrew/Genius Live Stats and one (1) year of experience in athletic communications.
Desired Qualifications Undergraduate experience in an athletic communications office. Experience coordinating home events. Evidence of strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly to convey thoughts, ideas and plans to NKU coaches, administrators and other staff members. Experience with any of the following is desired, but not necessary for consideration, graphic design, video production and/or photography.
1. Good organizational skills 2. Good communication skills 3. Good interpersonal skills 4. Display leadership skills 5. Be flexible 6. Use tact 7. Be motivated 8. Use integrity 9. Be professional 10. Be loyal 11. Use fairness and equitable treatment of others 12. Display public relation skills 13. Promotion of programs 14. Promptness and attendance
Additional Salary Information: Tuition up to 18 hours per year, plus $13.08/hr up to 24 hours per week. One (1) year contract with option for renewal.
About Northern Kentucky University
Northern Kentucky University is a growing metropolitan university of approximately 15,000 students served by more than 2,000 faculty and staff on a thriving suburban campus near Cincinnati. Located in the quiet suburb of Highland Heights, Kentucky, just seven miles southeast of Cincinnati, NKU has become a leader in the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky region by providing a private school education for a fraction of the cost. While we are one of the fastest growing universities in Kentucky, our professors still know our students’ names. In fall 2018, we celebrated the construction and opening of the $105 million Health Innovation Center (HIC), home of NKU’s College of Health Professionals and the Institute for Health Innovation. St. Elizabeth Healthcare invested $8 million to construct and equip the two-story Simulation Center. In 2008, we opened the BB&T Arena, a $60 million, 9,400-seat arena for basketball games and other events, as well as our $37 million, 144,000-square-foot student union building.
The 2016-17 academic year marked the first season NKU was eligible for participation in NCAA Championships after reclassifying to Division I. The Norse qualified for th...e NCAA Women's Soccer Championship and NCAA Men's Basketball Championship in 2016-17. The Men's Basketball team won the 2017-18 regular season Horizon League Championship and participated in the post-season NIT. The Men's Basketball team won the 2018-19 regular season Horizon League Championship and participated in the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship.