Saint Xavier University is a four-year private Catholic institution located in a residential neighborhood on the southwest side of Chicago. SXU was founded and is sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas. The University is recognized as Chicago’s first Catholic university. Saint Xavier University has an enrollment of approximately 3,700 (3,000 undergraduate) and the student body reflects the institution’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. The athletic department at SXU is made up of 19 varsity teams competing in the National Association for Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and affiliated with the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC) and Mid-States Football Association (MFSA). Cougar athletics has a history of success, including 32 conference championships over the past nine years including the CCAC baseball championship in 2019.
The Head Baseball coach leads and directs an intercollegiate NAIA baseball program. The head coach is responsible for establishing the long term vision of the program, recruitment of student- athletes, roster management, planning and implementing training, game preparation and coaching, scheduling, monitoring academic progress, managing assistant coaches, oversight of budgets, and other responsibilities as designated by the athletic director. This is a 12-month position with salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
· Plan, organize and execute a dynamic training program to develop and prepare players to maximize their potential and pursue excellence in athletic achievement
· Successfully facilitate all aspects of coaching a team in competition
· Foster the academic achievement and physical well-being of student-athletes
· Mentor and develop students both on and off the field
· Develop and implement a plan for the recruitment of qualified student-athletes
· Hire, supervise and evaluate assistant coaches
· Plan and manage team scheduling and travel arrangements
· Manage and maintain team budgets in line with University policies
· Order and maintain equipment for the baseball team
· Represent Saint Xavier University in the CCAC and the NAIA
· Remain knowledgeable of and adhere to CCAC and NAIA rules and regulations
Minimum Qualifications (knowledge, skills, and abilities needed upon entry into the position)
· Bachelor’s degree
· Three (3) years coaching experience at the college or university level
· Experience recruiting college level student-athletes
· Master’s degree
· Head coaching experience
· College playing experience
For complete consideration, a letter of interest, resume, and three personal references should be sent in one pdf file and emailed to email@example.com. Please direct all questions and inquiries regarding the position to Dr. Kurt Patberg, Senior Vice President of Athletics Staffing and Consultants at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Saint Xavier University
Saint Xavier University (SXU) is a distinguished four-year, private
Catholic institution located in a residential neighborhood on the
southwest side of Chicago. Founded by the Sisters of Mercy in
1846 and chartered in 1847, Saint Xavier holds the distinctions of
being Chicago’s first Catholic university, as well as the first Mercy
institution of higher learning in the United States.
With an enrollment of nearly 3,700 (2,955 undergraduate, 712 graduate students) the student body reflects the institution’s commitment to
diversity and inclusion. Saint Xavier is a Minority-Serving Institution and has
been a federally designated Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) since 2014.
Saint Xavier’s curricular and co-curricular programs focus on leadership and
service as well as educating the whole person.
The athletic program at Saint Xavier is made up of 19 varsity teams that compete within the National
Association for Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC),
and the Mid-States Football Association (MSFA).