To develop and conduct new employee and ongoing training in the areas of student-athlete support services and student-athlete development. To manage departmental budget. To serve as a liaison for athletics to various departments on campus. To oversee the student-athlete development and leadership training programs. To foster cooperative working relationships with fellow staff members within the department. To support the athletics department goals and philosophies as described by the Director of Athletics and to work to achieve and uphold the department’s mission statement and core values. To direct day-to-day counseling responsibilities of sport teams. To engage student-athletes in decisions relating to academic and career success. Position is a direct report to Vice Provost for Enrollment Management with dotted line reporting to the Athletics Department.
• Manage staff of 9 full-time employees
• Develop and conduct new employee and ongoing training in the areas of student-athlete support services and student-athlete development
• Oversee all areas of Student-Athlete Services including Student-Athlete Development
• Manage departmental budget as well as athletics allocated summer school budget
• Available to conduct recruiting visits for prospective student-athletes
• Oversee APR and GSR data collection and entry
• Responsible for developing and supervising community service and outreach opportunities for UAB Athletics
• Serve as a liaison for athletics to various departments on campus. Represents department at various functions and events. May serve on committees within the department and university
• Reports all known NCAA violations in accordance with institutional, conference and NCAA policies and guidelines
• Oversee the student-athlete development and leadership training programs
• Serve as administrative resource to the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
• Maintain knowledge of departmental activities, sports schedules, and procedures
• Foster cooperative working relationships with fellow staff members within the department
• Support the athletics department goals and philosophies as described by the Director of Athletics and work to achieve and uphold the department’s mission statement and core values
• Maintain a positive attitude toward performing job duties and in working with other staff members
• Exhibit professional decorum at all times while representing UAB
• Serve a member of both the Enrollment Management and Athletics Senior Staff teams
1. Direct day-to-day counseling responsibilities of sport teams
2. Responsible for course scheduling, academic progress monitoring, individual counseling, and NCAA certification for select student-athletes
3. Conduct regular training sessions for new and continuing Student-Athlete Support Services staff members
4. Assist in implementation of Student-Athlete Support Services policies and procedures
5. Meet regularly with coaching staff on matters pertaining to student-athlete success
6. Coordinate honorary coach program
7. Handle all aspects of admissions and orientation process for select incoming student-athletes
8. Engage student-athletes in decisions relating to academic and career success
9. Build relationships with campus personnel to create a strong network, which benefits student-athletes
Bachelor's degree in a related field and five (5) years of related experience required. Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement.
Preferred: 1. Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university 2. At least three (3) years of supervisory experience 3. Experience counseling revenue sports 4. Strong background in NCAA compliance 5. Experience developing student-athlete programming 6. Demonstrated personal relations skills in dealing with college students, coaches, peers, staff, and administrative personnel 7. Availability to work some evenings and weekends 8. Ability to analyze situations and recommend solutions 9. Self-motivated with high degree of personal initiative 10. Ability to independently take on a task from inception to implementation 11. Ability to deal effectively and diplomatically with all internal and external constituents in person, via email, and/or on the telephone 12. Great organizational and time management skills 13. Accuracy of work is a premium 14. Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications, Banner, and GradesFirst
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of ethnicity, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Internal Number: T57824
Known for its innovative and interdisciplinary approach to education at both the graduate and undergraduate levels, the University of Alabama at Birmingham is an internationally renowned research university and academic medical center and the state of Alabama’s largest single employer, with an economic impact exceeding $7 billion annually on the state.