James Madison University, a Division 1 Member of the NCAA and Colonial Athletic Association, is accepting applications for a Director of Event Management. This is a full-time position and reports to the Director of Athletics Facilities and Events. The Director of Event Management will lead a full-time Assistant Director, part-time staff and student interns, while working cooperatively with internal units and service providers to direct and execute Game Operations for all sports, as well as special events occurring within athletic facilities. This position is ultimately responsible for the organization, planning, implementation, production and event administration of intercollegiate athletics and special events. The successful candidate must have a service attitude and approach.
Duties and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership for Assistant Director of Events, Operations Assistants, Event Management Part-Time Staff, Interns and Practicum Students, through recruitment, hiring, training, evaluations and more.
- Serve as the Game Manager for assigned home Athletic events and the Event Manager for assigned Special Events occurring in Athletic facilities. Perform duties such as enforce health, fire, safety and other facility regulations; manage crowd control and ensure safety of game personnel such as teams, coaches and officials. In general, the successful candidate will be responsible for the control of the entire operation of the venue and will provide leadership to all game managers and develop, maintain and distribute game operations plans with respect to each sport and venue. Assign Game Management duties to employees and ensures they are performing at a high level.
- Oversight of planning logistics and site preparedness for all home athletic events and hosted special events. Direct staff or coordinate resources in support of all events hosted in facilities including planning, resource allocation, budgeting and financial reporting.
- Serve as Chair of the Game Day Operations Team (GDOT).
- Coordinate and liaison with on-campus departments (i.e. Parking Services, Public Safety, Facilities Management, Concessions, Special Event Catering, Risk Management) and contracted services (health services provider, communications vendor) to ensure appropriate support services for events.
- Serve as Summer Camp Coordinator for Varsity Sport Programs.
- Direct the scheduling of all athletic facilities for events and activities including providing direction for data entry by Event Operations and Office Assistants.
- Assist in budget management for the Game Operations and support areas.
- Liaison with RMC Events for all event staffing.
- Lead and/or assist with bid submission, planning and hosting of NCAA and CAA conference post-season events. Serve as Tournament Manager for assigned post-season events.
- Demonstrable experience in intercollegiate athletics event management.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience hosting NCAA and Conference post-season events.
- Ability to manage many projects at once, delegate duties when necessary, work independently or with a committee.
- Possess effective communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sports Management, Athletic Administration or a related field.
- Experience working within Intercollegiate Athletics event management.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.