| The Director of Sports Medicine is responsible for the development, planning, strategic direction and overall accountability for the Sports Medicine division of Millsaps athletics. The Director of Sports Medicine will work in conjunction with the team physician to set the medical care guidelines for our over 400 student-athletes. |
The Director of Sports Medicine will have direct oversight of staff members and will be expected to create a positive and dynamic team to interface/communicate with coaches and student-athletes. The person in this position is responsible for abiding by all NATA and NCAA regulations, plus assisting to ensure departmental compliance.
Through “The Major Difference”, our department will use a more integrated approach to student wellness. As the leader of our Athlete Wellness Initiative, we seek a leader that will implement both customary/evidence based wellness and holistic approaches to sports performance, as well as help Millsaps stay on the cutting edge of its use of recovery and injury prevention techniques. This person will be largely responsible and accountable for the culture of progressive wellness we envision for the Millsaps athletic Dept.
This is a 12 month appointment with benefits package. Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s preferred. Applicants must be NATA-BOC certified and have or be eligible for Mississippi state licensure. Applicants should have the knowledge of the methods in the recognition, evaluation and assessment of injuries; First Aid and CPR. They must have the ability to communicate information clearly and concisely; establish effective working relationships with the coaching staff, student athletes, and administration; work evening and weekend hours, travel as needed and have basic computer skills. This position involves high activity.
• Responsible for sport coverage delineation among staff athletic trainers and interns
• Hiring for staff athletic trainers and interns
• Direct sport coverage, emergency management, and coordination
• Design and implement rehabilitation programs for injured student-athletes.
• Working closely with medical personnel who provide medical care and treatment of athletic related injuries, including but not limited to; Team orthopeadic physician, orthopeadic fellows, general medical fellow, physician overseeing concussion care, sports medicine physical therapy fellow, etc. Create injury management plan that may include doctor visits, x-rays/scans, medical exams/studies, rehabilitation programs, and/or surgery for injured student-athletes.
• Act as onsite emergency care representative at team practices and games.
• Act as liaison between medical providers, coaches, athletes, parents (if authorized), Cowell Health Center (if necessary) on medical consultation and status matters.
• Continue the transition to electronic medical records system (ATS)
• Maintain oversight of injury reports, treatments, medical clearances, and sports medicine protocols.
• Participate in policy-making decisions relative to sports medicine.
• Recommends initiatives and implements changes to improve quality and services.
• Identifies and determines cause of problems; develops and presents recommendations for improvement of established processes and practices.
• Maintains contact with student-athletes and solicits feedback for improved services.
• Maximizes productivity through use of appropriate tools; planned training and performance initiatives.
• Researches and develops resources that create timely and efficient workflow.
• Prepares progress reports; informs supervisor of project status; and deviation from goals. Ensures completeness, accuracy and timeliness of all operational functions.
• Prepares and submits reports as requested and required.
• Develops and implements guidelines to support the functions of the unit.
• Collecting team practice and game schedules from coaches.
• Preparing Staff Schedules.
• Maintain updated weekly events schedules.
• Schedule student workers.
• Inventory and Procurement of Sports Medicine and Office Supplies
• Create biannual inventory count.
• Meet with vendors and salesmen of supply companies.
• Coordinate office supply inventory and ordering with department administrative assistant.
• In-House Student Athlete Physical Therapy Coordinator.
• Perform and coordinate formal physical therapy programs and individual treatments for student-athletes.
• Manage all purchasing card transactions and maintain the sports medicine credit card log.
• Ensure compliance with federal regulations regarding inventory procurement and policies of medication dispensing programs.
Continuing Education and Training
• Scheduling staff CPR training and education, for certification.
• Organization and scheduling of staff continuing education symposiums as required by BOC to maintain CEU’s.
• Designated contact for Campus Safety regarding building access and protocols.
• Manage access and keys to Sports Medicine locks and cabinets.
• Oversee Medical Hardship process and required documentation with compliance unit.
• Monitor student wage and payroll budgets for student workers.
• Other duties as assigned
• Attend continuing education symposiums as required to maintain BOC certification.
Millsaps College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Millsaps College to offer equal educational and employment opportunities to all persons without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Interested persons should apply electronically, via email, to Anne Clark , Department of Athletics, Anne.Clark@millsaps.edu . No phone calls please. Please include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with complete contact information. The review of applications will take place immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date, but negotiable, is July 1, 2017.