- Assist in all aspects of academic service programming for cadet-athletes.
- Full commitment to compliance with the NCAA, Southern Conference, and Virginia Military Institute rules and regulations
- Assist with the monitoring of progress towards degree and eligibility requirements
- Foster a student-focused environment conducive to learning and building key skills necessary for academic and personal responsibility including critical thinking, writing, reading, note taking, study strategies, and academic self-advocacy
- Supervise structured academic support sessions and assist in monitoring evening guided study programs for freshmen and at-risk cadet athletes.
- Assist in the facilitation of tutor appointment requests
- Contribute to departmental administrative efforts in sport/event management and others areas as needed.
- Perform general administrative tasks and other duties as assigned
This is a 10 month or 1500 hour, whichever comes first, commitment starting August 21, 2017 and ending on May 31, 2018. This is a part time position and may require the ability to work some nights, weekends, and holidays.
$10 an hour. No benefits will be provided.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred. Strong organizational and computer skills, excellent communication, ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment. Ability to work evenings and occasional weekends and ability to relate to students of diverse backgrounds and varying levels of academic proficiency. Previous experience in academic advising, tutoring, teaching, and/or collegiate athletics. Interest in working in the fields of athletic academic support, higher education, and/or collegiate athletics. Ethical, personal and academic integrity standards in line with that of the Virginia Military Institute and the Cadet-Athlete Development Office.
Online applications accepted at: http://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/9909
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and the names of 3 professional references, along with your application. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply.