| The Assistant Baseball Coach provides assistance to the Head Baseball Coach with all activities associated with the Baseball program, including recruitment, monitoring academic performance and social development, maintaining discipline and player development, fundraising activities, assist in coordinating summer camps, pre-and post-season conditioning programs, practice planning, and game preparation and execution. |
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- •Knowledge of all aspects of the sport of baseball with demonstrated expertise in pitching instruction and development.
- •Knowledge of NCAA rules and the ability to pass the annual NCAA certification test.
- •Demonstrated management, organizational, and communication skills.
- •Ability to maintain compliance with NCAA rules/policies and to guide student-athletes toward successful completion of an undergraduate degree while participating in intercollegiate athletics.
- •Ability to participate in baseball related activities (throwing, catching, hitting, and pitching) in order to demonstrate skills required and provide live practice to players.
Essential Job Duties
- • Provides assistance to the Head Baseball Coach with activities associated with the program and student athletes, including recruitment, monitoring academic performance and social development, maintaining discipline and development programs, fundraising activities, and assist in coordinating summer camps, pre and post-season conditioning programs, and preparation for practices and games.
- •Assists in the recruitment of student athletes, including pitchers. Attends off campus games for the purpose of evaluation and contact. Coordinates the outflow of recruitment materials and information. Maintains contact with prospective student-athletes. Plans campus visits with prospective student-athletes and their parents.
- •Prepares, plans, conducts, and evaluates practice sessions. Teaches individuals and groups of players’ specific tasks and skills before, during, and after practice, on and off-season.
- •Assists with offensive and defensive sessions during skills instruction and team practice. Attends and works all non-championship and championship segment games, including traveling to and from game sites, monitoring of student-athletes while on-and-off campus, and developing game plans with coaching staff.
- •Administers travel arrangements for team. Schedules practice times for the road. Supervises and assigns responsibilities to the team managers and graduate assistants.
- •Maintains equipment inventory and oversees distribution to athletes. Follows FGCU procedures in handling the ordering of supplies and any funds that flow through the athletic program.
- •Plans long and short term team objectives.
- •Coordinates all enrollment activities of student-athletes. Mentors academic progress and class attendance of student-athletes and intervenes when necessary. Helps establish requirements for team members in terms of academic and athletic progress.
- •Participates in annual continuing education programs.
- •Responsible for proper handling of University funds as it pertains to ethical and budgetary issues.
- •Complies with all University, Atlantic Sun Conference, or Coastal Collegiate Swimming Association (CCSA) regulations as applicable, as well as all NCAA rules and regulations. Remains current with all changes in NCAA, as well as changes to University, Atlantic Sun Conference, and CCSA rules and regulations regarding intercollegiate athletics. This includes the requirement for self-reporting any possible rule violations. Any violation of NCAA rules is prohibited and may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.