Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Public Relations, Strategic Communications and Marketing, and Athletics Brand Development: Oversee overall public relations, strategic communications and marketing, and brand development for a comprehensive athletics department inclusive of Division I men’s and women’s ice hockey and 17 Division II sports programs.
- Deliver the St. Cloud State and Huskies Athletics’ internal and external messaging
- Review and evaluate current media trends to determine implementation and best practice
- Develop and implement multi-media plan to showcase programs, student-athletes, and marketing efforts
- Establish protocol and best practices in collaboration with University and Athletics administration to effectively respond to crisis situations
- Coordinate and present media relations training for coaches and student-athletes, including social media outreach
- Advise athletic department personnel on media relations policies and practices Enhance visibility of coaches and student-athletes through special events, speaking opportunities
- Develop attractive multi-media content including video and photos
Athletics Communication: Oversee a media relations/sports information plan for all sport programs.
- Foster productive relationships with local, regional, and national media outlets
- Pitch story ideas for SCSU teams and student-athletes
- Provide stories when requested
- Write press releases and feature stories promoting the department and its student-athletes
- Respond to and manage internal and external media request; Serve as primary media contact for select sports
- Attend home and select away contests
- Manage press facilities at home events
- Coordinate media interviews
- Produce official statistics, game notes, and year-end summaries
- Assist in the management of the Athletics Department’s digital photo catalog and photo galleries
- Maintain accurate statistics, records, and files for teams and student-athletes
- Assist in the design and creation of departmental publications, including media guides, gameday program, posters, schedule cards, special event notices, and alumni/advancement materials as appropriate for various sports and special events
- Coordinate the daily maintenance and development of the official St. Cloud State Athletics website
- Serve as primary liaison with the Department’s website provider
Sports Marketing: Coordinate with external operations and marketing to increase awareness, attendance, and revenue for ticketed athletics events.
- Assist ticketing department in creation of season and single game sales plan, promotional pieces, and marketing for select sports
- Collaborate with marketing department on content and calendar of promotions, online sales, digital ads, etc.
- Work with Video and Creative Content on the production of digital marketing collateral
- Explore and introduce new media and digital platforms as appropriate to communications and marketing efforts
- Interact with other University departments to promote athletics
Provide administrative leadership, including supervision to full-time, graduate assistant, game day, and student staff
- Develop and plan work assignments for comprehensive athletics program, sport specific assignments, and coverage at home events
- Provide leadership, professional development, and accountability to full-time staff; complete annual performance reviews according to bargaining unit guidelines
- Develop robust student athletics communications internship/practicum experiences for graduate assistant(s) and undergraduate students
- Hire and coordinate the scheduling of stats crews/support staff for select home events (football, soccer, volleyball, basketball, hockey, baseball, softball)
- Participate in Athletics, University Marketing and Communications, and other meetings as requested
- Monitor and manage the operating budget for AC
- Manage new and replacement equipment costs and contracted services, including bids for off-campus printing projects
Perform other duties as necessary to build support for and add value to the objectives and goals of the University, Department of Athletics, and Athletics Communications unit.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience in communications/marketing management.
- Strong knowledge & understanding of an athletics department at a post-secondary collegiate/university level.
- Knowledge of effective public relations and communications strategies as they relate to intercollegiate athletics
- Strong background in writing, editing, and design; experience with all forms of digital media (websites, social, video, mobile).
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective goal-oriented relationships.
- Strong organization skills and ability to take initiative, multi-task, and achieve a high level of productivity in a collaborative environment under time sensitive deadlines.
- Extensive technological proficiency including experiences with Adobe Creative Suite software (including InDesign and Photoshop), iMovie, html, Microsoft Works, StatCrew, LiveStats and other relevant software programs necessary to perform the job duties described.
- Master’s degree at time of application.Knowledge of basic principles and practices of supervisory techniques.Demonstrated ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and sound judgments.Ability to reason, recall, analyze, and organize information to make substantive and sometimes complex decisions reaching reasonable conclusions within scope of authority.Ability to function professionally in highly stressful situations to provide clear information on an impromptu basis to individuals or groups of people.Strong interpersonal/communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to meet continuous project deadlines and develop and implement strategic plans.
- Ability to comprehend potential issues and address them before they become problematic.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- The ability to: perform accurate, detail-oriented work, manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and maintain confidentiality and a professional demeanor.
- Knowledge of: NCAA, Conference (NSIC, WCHA, NCHC), institutional, federal, and state rules and regulations.
- Strong organization and technology skills.
- Evidence of a demonstrated commitment to diversity and fairness through recruitment, selection, and supervision of staff.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills which show consideration to alternatives and provides for flexibility.