ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK (This list is neither absolute nor restrictive, but indicates approximate duties and responsibilities which may be redefined pursuant to operational needs.)
- Assists in all day-to-day business operations with the Athletics Business Office.
- Collects and analyzes financial and other statistical data for the preparation of financial and non-financial reports; establishes reporting deadlines for those providing data for these reports.
- Performs complex professional accounting work such as performing reconciliations, journal entries, schedules, and reports.
- Reviews and/or processes financial documents ensuring that transactions are accurate and complete, reported with acceptable accounting standards, and in accordance with University, State, Conference, and NCAA policies and procedures.
- Reviews, allocates, and reconciles University procurement card transactions monthly. Provides financial information to Associate Athletic Director for Finance & Operations/CFO.
- Works with coaches and prepares detailed budget reports on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis; audits current procedures to monitor and improve efficiency of operations.
- Oversees all athletic department payroll processing and vacation tracking; ensuring compliance of policies related to the Athletics Business Office.
- Provides communication and guidance to coaching staff and athletics administration related to business and travel operations for the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Works closely with team travel designees; preparing travel advances, reconciliations, and reimbursements.
- Manages the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics computer, cell phone, and tablet programs.
- Assists with annual EADA, NCAA AUP and other special reports as requested.
- Assists the Associate Athletic Director for Finance & Operations/CFO with oversight of the contract routing and archiving process, including coordinating the approval process of all athletic department contracts through iContracts.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and /or courses as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Associate Athletic Director for Finance & Operations/CFO.
REQUIREMENTS OF WORK
Work requires a Bachelor’s degree with major course work in accounting, finance or business administration and three to five years of progressively responsible and related management experience. Thorough knowledge of NCAA rules/regulations and experience with Banner Accounting systems. Candidate must be proficient in communication and management skills and have advance experience with spreadsheet and computer applications. A Master’s degree and prior experience working in a Division I NCAA athletic department is preferred, or any equivalent combination of experience and training, which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential job functions. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Knowledge of management and supervision practices and techniques;
- Knowledge of accounting and budgetary theory, principles and practices;
- Knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to departmental budgets and accounting practices;
- Skill in applying accounting and financial management principles;
- Ability to work independently on complex and confidential issues related to the day-to-day operations of a department.
- Knowledge of Human Resources, Purchasing, and Payroll systems.
- Knowledge of Ticket Office accounting, procedures, and reconciliation preferred.
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of the entire MS Office Suite. Proficiency in the use of MS Excel for the development of spreadsheets and management reports using graphs and charts is required.
- Effective organizational and administrative skills required.
- Ability to initiate and follow through with work responsibilities and to meet deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to contribute actively to the mission and to respect the Spiritan Catholic identity of Duquesne University. The mission is implemented through a commitment to academic excellence, a spirit of service, moral and spiritual values, sensitivity to world concerns, and an ecumenical campus community.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, three references, and salary requirements