• The Assistant Coach will assist the Head Coach in all aspects of operating a successful program. In addition, the Assistant Coach will have a working knowledge of practice planning and plan workouts according. The Assistant Coach is also expected to execute other program related duties as assigned by the Head Softball Coach.
• Identify student-athletes capable of competing both academically and athletically at Fort Lewis College. He or She will play a decisive role in the recruitment of student-athletes. The Assistant Coach is responsible for managing a database of prospects.
• Teach all basic and advanced skills required in the sport of Softball.
• Responsible for assisting the Head Coach in developing a comprehensive and strategic game plan for scheduled contest throughout the season. This includes, but is not limited to, evaluating upcoming opponents, preparing a scouting report, and working with the Head Coach during contests.
• Responsible for the organization and coordination of a wide variety of administrative tasks as assigned by the Head Coach, which include, but not limited to, team travel, contest scheduling, budget preparation & administration, facility usage, public relations, marketing, fundraising, community service, camps and clinics, and other daily operations for the program.
• Assist in monitoring academic progress throughout the year.
• Responsible for knowledge of, and adherence to, NCAA rules and regulations pertaining to recruiting, eligibility, and general operation of the Softball program.
Required Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree. Two or more years coaching experience at the college level in the sport of Softball. In lieu of college level coaching experience, a combination of four years of coaching experience at the high school, college, professional or national team level in the sport of Softball and playing experience at the college, professional or national team level in the sport of Softball will be considered. Strong knowledge of the game along with excellent organization and communication skills. Understanding of NCAA rules.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree. Prior experience with coaching and skill instruction. Prior recruiting experience and experience in practice/game plan development. Knowledge of a Division II Softball program.
Additional Salary Information: Additional income can be made throughout the year through camps and clinics
About Fort Lewis College
Fort Lewis College is a four-year, state-assisted, undergraduate
institution that offers quality baccalaureate
degree programs in the arts and sciences and in
the professional areas of education and business. The
College has an enduring commitment to develop and
maintain its programs at a level equal to those of other
outstanding undergraduate institutions in the nation.
Fort Lewis College has an approximate enrollment of
4,000 students. Located in beautiful Durango, CO, a magnificent tourist community in the San Juan mountains of SW Colorado that serves as home to 45,000 people.