Ashland University is an NCAA Division II institution that competes in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC), one of the most highly respected NCAA Division II conferences in the country. Ashland University offers a comprehensive 23-sport athletic program. The University is located off of Interstate 71 in Ashland, Ohio, midway between Cleveland and Columbus.
Ashland University is seeking applications for the position of Assistant Softball Coach. The assistant coach will assist the head coach in practice and game preparation, practice and in-game coaching, off-season and in-season training and in numerous other activities as assigned by the head coach. This position reports directly to the head softball coach.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• Candidates must be able to teach proper technique and skill development in various aspects of softball. Should have a complete and thorough understanding of the sport and be able to instruct student-athletes in small group and one-on-one settings.
• Applicants should be well versed and able to instruct student-athletes on physical health, team concepts and team building exercises, team development techniques and safety.
• A thorough understanding of NCAA and GLIAC rules and regulations is required. The assistant coach must adhere to these rules and be able to articulate these to student-athletes.
• An understanding of Ashland University’s mission and goals is required. Applicants must have the ability to explain these to student-athletes.
• This position requires the ability to recruit potential student-athletes.
To apply online, go to: https://www.ashland.edu/administration/content/assistant-softball-coach-athletics
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.
A bachelor’s degree is required.
Candidates must have the ability to successfully impart softball fundamentals and playing techniques. Candidates must have a thorough understanding of the game and be able to instruct in a number of areas including – pitching, hitting, fielding, and game strategy.
Previous coaching and/or playing experience on the college level is highly desired.
The ability to identify and recruit student-athletes is required.
This position requires well-developed communication skills, as well as strong time management and organizational skills.
The ability to work weekends and evenings is required. This position requires extensive travel, both in recruiting and to games.
About Ashland University
Ashland University is a NCAA Division II institution of more than 2,000 undergraduate students in Ashland, Ohio, a community of 22,000. The Athletic Department presently sponsors a broad-based 23 sports program and successfully competes as an NCAA Division II member in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.