Sports Medicine, Sports Medicine - Athletic Training
James Madison University (JMU), a Division I Member of the NCAA and Colonial Athletic Association, is accepting applications for an Associate Athletic Trainer to serve as the Men’s Basketball Athletic Trainer. The successful candidate will report to and work under the supervision of the Associate Athletic Director (AD) for Integrated Health and Sports Performance / Director of Sports Medicine and JMU Team Physicians and will be responsible for the day-to-day oversight of sports medicine services that help ensure the health and safety of the student-athletes participating in JMU’s NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Program. The successful candidate will also serve as a clinical preceptor for JMU’s undergraduate athletic training students.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing and coordinating a high level of athletic healthcare services to the JMU Men’s Basketball Program and JMU student-athletes to include the prevention, evaluation, clinical management, treatment and short- and long-term rehabilitation of injuries.
- Ensuring emergency readiness at all practices and competitions in accordance with the JMU Emergency Action Plan.
- Engaging in effective written and oral communication with members of the coaching staff, strength and conditioning staff, sports medicine staff/physicians, athletic administration and Integrated Health and Sports Performance Team.
- Contributing to an overall team effort by welcoming new and different work requirements and exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of the department.
- Assisting with the scheduling, organization and completion of student-athlete pre-participation and exit physical examinations.
- Coordinating timely referrals and communicating with the JMU Team Physicians regarding student-athlete injuries, medical conditions and plan of care.
- Providing onsite coverage for practices, summer conditioning and games.
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date medical records on all student-athletes in a timely, efficient and confidential manner.
- Counseling and educating student-athletes regarding their injuries and treatment plans.
- Serving as a clinical preceptor to athletic training undergraduate students enrolled in JMU’s CAATE Athletic Training Program.
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant institutional, CAA, NCAA and Commonwealth of Virginia regulations.
- Candidates must have a master's degree, hold BOC certification and have a Virginia license to practice Athletic Training or be eligible for licensure.
- Minimum of 5 years of collegiate or professional experience as a certified athletic trainer required.
- CPR and AED certified.
- Ability to effectively communicate with multiple parties within the athletics department and campus community.
- Ability to maintain a high level of communication, outstanding interpersonal and clinical skills and professionalism as a member of the JMU Sports Medicine Staff.
- Ability to work and function as a member of the Integrated Health and Sports Performance Team and effectively communicate with the Men’s Basketball Coaching staff is essential.
- Preference will be given to candidates NCAA Division I experience with Men's Basketball; advanced continuing education/certifications such as FMS, SFMA, DNS, CES, PES, Graston, PRI, etc.; experience as an approved clinical preceptor and supervision of undergraduate athletic training students enrolled in a CAATE Athletic Training Program.
To apply go to http://joblink.jmu.edu/postings/3501 or visit JobLink.jmu.edu and reference posting number F1137. This is a full-time, 12-month position with a full, comprehensive benefits package. The anticipated start date for this position is June 25, 2018 and the salary is commensurate with experience.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.