Ashland University is an NCAA Division II institution that competes in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC), one of the most highly respected NCAA Division II conferences in the country. Ashland University offers a comprehensive 23-sport athletic program. The university is located off of Interstate 71 in Ashland, Ohio, midway between Cleveland and Columbus.
Position Summary: The Head Women's Volleyball Coach will direct all aspects of the program. The head coach is responsible for coaching and instruction of student-athletes, scheduling, recruiting, monitoring academic progress of student-athletes, monitoring the budget and assisting in raising funds for various projects connected to the program. This is a full-time position that reports to the Director of Athletics.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities: • Teaches proper technique and skill development in various aspects of volleyball. Should have a complete and thorough understanding of the sport and be able to instruct student-athletes in small group and one-on-one settings.
• Instructs student-athletes on physical health, team concepts and team building exercises, team development techniques and safety.
• A thorough understanding of NCAA and GLIAC rules and regulations is required. The head coach must adhere to these rules and ensure that the program is in compliance with all rules, regulations and guidelines. The ability to articulate these to student-athletes is also required.
• An understanding of Ashland University’s mission and goals is required. Applicants must have the ability to explain these to student-athletes.
• Responsible for monitoring the volleyball budget. All plans for travel and equipment purchase also fall under the responsibility of the head coach.
• Requires the ability to recruit potential student-athletes. The head coach is responsible for meeting all Ashland University roster requirements.
• Responsible for working with various constituencies across campus to ensure that student-athletes receive the proper academic counseling and assistance.
• All practice and game preparation falls under the direction of the head coach. The head coach is responsible for the implementation of game plans and will be the lead coach at all games and tournaments.
• Will direct and finalize all scouting responsibilities.
• The head coach will direct and evaluate all assistant coaches.
• May require other assignments as assigned by the athletic director. These could include fundraising, game management and representing the athletic department at various functions.
To apply online, go to https://www.ashland.edu/administration/content/head-womens-volleyball-coach
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.
Bachelor’s degree is required.
Candidates must have the ability to successfully impart volleyball knowledge.
Previous coaching and/or playing experience on the college level is highly desired.
The ability to identify and recruit student-athletes is required.
This position requires well-developed communication skills, as well as strong time management and organizational skills.
The ability to manage a budget is desired.
The ability to work weekends and evenings is required. This position requires extensive travel, both in recruiting and to games.
About Ashland University
Ashland University is a NCAA Division II institution of more than 2,000 undergraduate students in Ashland, Ohio, a community of 22,000. The Athletic Department presently sponsors a broad-based 23 sports program and successfully competes as an NCAA Division II member in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.