Join the Iowa State University Foundation in its charge to move the university forward through philanthropy, helping thousands reach new levels of greatness. Iowa State University fills a variety of major roles, from feeding the globe to strengthening the local economy. As a part of the Athletics development team, you will have the opportunity to play a part in a wide range of key projects. You will meet frequently with donors face-to-face in their homes, at events or hosting at a restaurant or coffee shop. Working each day to connect donors’ philanthropic interests with unit priorities, you will blend your professional knowledge, relationship management skills and talent with philanthropic strategies.
Iowa State University is a public, land-grant institution, where students get a great academic start in learning communities and stay active in 800-plus student organizations, internships, research and study abroad opportunities. Located in Ames, Iowa (35 miles north of the state capital in Des Moines), more than 36,000 students are enrolled at ISU and served by more than 6,200 faculty and staff.
The Cyclones are a NCAA Division I athletics program and an original member of the Big 12 Conference. Iowa State began competing in intercollegiate athletics in 1892 and currently sponsors 18 intercollegiate sports.
Iowa State University Athletics strives to help unite the university community and be a source of pride for all constituents by consistently demonstrating high levels of performance academically and athletically along with professional conduct by its staff and student-athletes.’
Based on qualifications and experience, a selected candidate may hold one of these job titles: Assistant Director, Associate Director, or Director.
In This Role, You Will…
• Work with team members to develop strategies to achieve goals for fundraising priorities.
• Plan and complete prospect engagement opportunities and present gift proposals.
• Build and manage a portfolio of 100 to 125 assigned prospects. You will develop new prospect relationships while engaging previous and current donors. Working with campus and foundation teams, you will research and identify prospects capable of making major gifts of $50,000 or greater.
• Travel extensively (up to 50%) to establish and build long-lasting, strong donor relationships with the end goal of soliciting and closing major gift donations.
• Work independently and collaboratively with all levels of athletics staff, donors and foundation development teams on a variety of donor-centered tasks and activities including foundation special events.
• Communicate in a variety of ways for a variety of purposes. You will write donor correspondence, contact reports and proposals, and provide briefings on program status. You will also communicate the foundation’s role and donor’s wishes to key campus and foundation staff.
To Be Successful, You Will Need…
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years professional experience in any of the following areas: major gift fundraising, non-profit work, higher education or other related field. You must also have demonstrable skills in persuasive speaking and influencing others.
Ability to achieve ambitious goals. You should have a remarkable track record for leading successful initiatives with measurable results.
Ability to multi-task and manage multiple initiatives.
Savvy relationship-building and management skills and be an excellent communicator. You should be articulate and persuasive with diplomacy and tact to represent the foundation and athletics to multiple constituents, donors and campus leadership.
Problem-solving skills and resourcefulness. You can champion donor-centeredness by understanding the desires of the donors and creating simple solutions.
Strong team orientation, a dedicated work ethic and a positive and professional attitude.
Creativity, patience, a sense of humor and a belief in our organizational mission of: Aligning donor passion and generosity to advance Iowa State University’s land grant ideals.
To apply, visit our Jobs Seekers page and include the following items:
·Cover letter with salary requirements
·Three professional references’ names and contact information
About Iowa State University Foundation
The Iowa State University Foundation is charged with the rewarding task of fundraising for the university. Together, we work as a team to expertly match our donors’ passions with Iowa State’s needs. In true Iowa State spirit, we are inspired by our purpose and work together to move the university forward. We pride ourselves in expertly matching our donors’ desires with Iowa State’s needs, creating a gratifying experience for our contributors and engaging careers for our employees. We have world-class talent who understand the transformative power of philanthropy. This position will join a high-performing team of more than 130 employees who are in the middle of a very successful Forever True, For Iowa State campaign. The Foundation strives to promote an excellent work environment and has been named one of Iowa’s “Top Workplaces” by The Des Moines Register.