The University of the Southwest announces an immediate opening for a Development and External Relations Coordinator. This position will be involved with all institutional fundraising and development activities including providing support for USW’s growing intercollegiate athletic program which has expanded from 9 intercollegiate athletic teams to 19 in just 3 years enabling Mustang Athletics to become the fastest growing intercollegiate athletic program in the nation.
As a result of its record setting student enrollment, USW has recently announced its intentions of moving forward with its continued institutional growth via the USW Vision 20 /20 Campus Master Plan and related $45 million dollar capital campaign which features $22.5 million dollars of new athletic facilities on its campus. Details of USW Vision 20/20 can be found within a video presentation on the USW Athletic Website. It’s a Great Time to be a Mustang!
The University of the Southwest is a Christ-centered educational community dedicated to developing men and women for a lifetime of servant leadership by emphasizing individual faith, responsibility and initiative.
USW is located in sunny Hobbs which serves as the Gateway to New Mexico…the Land of Enchantment. As the largest municipality in Lea County, the Hobbs area represents the best of the “high desert”, with its blue skies and warm sunshine. The area provides excellent educational facilities, business opportunities, cultural events and a collective quality of life that is second to none.
This position will be responsible for the organization, implementation and coordination of the Institution’s Development/Marketing/Communications/Public Relations Programs according to the mission, goals and objectives of the institution at the local, regional and national level.
The Development and External Relations Coordinator manages all facets of University fund development including recording all contributions to the University, coordinating scheduling of the Vice President for Institutional Development’s fundraising work and serving as the University liaison for all development activities. This position is also responsible for the implementation, coordination and execution of the annual volunteer fund raising drive and/or capital campaign, specifically selected special event fund raising activities, ongoing solicitation programs and an engaged corporate sponsorship program.
Other responsibilities include creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that will enhance the University’s image and position within the marketplace and the general public. This position will also facilitate internal and external communications for the institution including all University marketing and public relations activities. This position will report directly to the Vice President for Institutional Development and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
a. Responsible for the implementation, development and coordination of a comprehensive development, marketing, communications and public relations program.
b. Assist with the planning, design and execution of a strategic plan that builds brand awareness and enhances the presence of the university and its mission.
c. Maximize the institution’s exposure opportunities and develop a presence within the campus community, the local community and among USW alumni.
d. Cultivate relationships that lead to partnerships with the campus community, the local community and among USW alumni.
e. Develop and implement strategies to increase levels of donor support, planned giving and corporate sponsorships.
f. Implement, coordinate and execute an annual volunteer fund drive and/or capital campaign.
g. Implement, coordinate and execute specifically selected special event fund raising activities.
h. Implement, coordinate and execute a comprehensive corporate sponsorship program.
i. Develop and implement strategies to increase community awareness of institutional initiatives that leads to increased levels of community involvement and philanthropic support.
j. Coordinate community outreach programs with faculty, staff and students among community constituents.
k. Insure maximum utilization of website and internet institutional marketing exposure opportunities.
l. Development of a coordinated social media plan for the University.
m. Other designated duties as assigned by the Vice President for Institutional Development and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics.
The Development and External Relations Coordinator will also be responsible for the following duties:
1. Maintains complete records of the University’s comprehensive annual fund campaign, including unrestricted operating gifts, restricted operating support and any special campaigns.
2. Assists the Vice President for Institutional Development and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics in setting appointments, cultivating key prospects and soliciting strategic gifts for the University.
3. Prepares proposals and necessary follow-up reports for corporate and foundation support as directed by the Vice President for Institutional Development and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics.
4. Ensure articulation of University’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout the University, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
5. Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all University publications.
6. Coordinate media interest in the University and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests while acting as the University’s liaison with the media.
7. Coordinate the appearance of all University print and electronic materials such as Letterhead, use of logo, brochures, etc.
8. Leads projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and special events.
9. Responsible for the achievement of development/marketing/communications/public relations goals and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals & objectives and report progress to the appropriate constituencies as directed.
10. Develop short and long-term strategic plans as well as budgets for the development/ marketing/communications/public relations programs and their related activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
11. Recommend short and long-term goals as well as objectives to the Vice President for Institutional Development and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. 12. Develop, implement and monitor systems & procedures necessary to ensure the smooth operation of the development/marketing/communications/public relations function.
13. Keep informed of developments in the fields of development, marketing, communications and public relations, not-for-profit management and governance, and use this information to help the University operate with initiative and innovation.
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate discipline required. Master’s Degree preferred.
Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of development, marketing, communications and public relations activities.
Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal sales skills.
Experience developing and managing budgets.
Experience in fund raising / development activities with proven results.
Experience with the hiring, training, developing, supervision and evaluation of highly qualified personnel and volunteers.
Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with media.
Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
Computer literacy in word processing, data base management and page layout.
Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
Strong oral and written communications skills.
Excellent organizational skills.
Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects at a time.
The ability to provide strong leadership and direction for assigned administrative areas of responsibility.
Demonstrated ability to be a “Team Player” within the University administration and the institution.
Out-of-town, overnight travel may be required.
Demonstrated skills necessary to speak, listen, write, and otherwise communicate with University constituents while fulfilling responsibilities.
Desire to serve the University by facilitating & initiating funding / resource development.
Commitment to the overall Mission, Philosophy and Goals of the University.
To apply for this position:
Interested candidates must submit a letter of interest, professional resume, a list of five professional references with contact information and unofficial college transcripts (Official college transcripts will be required of all finalists). The above listed materials should be forwarded to Veronica Torrez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About University of the Southwest
University of the Southwest is a fully accredited Christ-centered interdenominational university with a total enrollment of more than 1,000 students. USW is located in sunny southeast New Mexico (Hobbs, NM). USW offers a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate programs, including both online and ground offerings. We offer a residential campus environment with a dynamic intercollegiate athletic program. As member of the Red River Athletic Conference, our students have earned accolades in both academics and athletics. We have a vibrant campus life. USW is a member of the CCCU. More information about our programs and our campus can be found on our website at www.usw.edu.