Ashland University is an NCAA Division II institution that competes in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC), one of the most highly respected NCAA Division II conferences in the country. Ashland University offers a comprehensive 23-sport athletic program. The University currently offers Women's Tennis as a varsity sport and will be adding Men's Tennis for the 2018-19 academic year.
The University is located off of Interstate 71 in Ashland, Ohio, midway between Cleveland and Columbus.
Ashland University is seeking applications for the position of Assistant Men's and Women's Tennis Coach. The assistant coach, under the direction of the head coach, will assist the head coach in all areas of both the men's and women's tennis programs. This is a full-time position that reports directly to the Director of Tennis Operations and Director of Athletics.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• Candidates must be able to teach proper technique and skill development in various aspects of tennis. Should have a complete and thorough understanding of the sport and be able to instruct student-athletes in small group and one-on-one settings.
• Applicants should be well versed and able to instruct student-athletes on physical health, team concepts and team building exercises, team development techniques and safety.
• A thorough understanding of NCAA and GLIAC rules and regulations is required. The head coach must adhere to these rules and ensure that the program is in compliance with all rules, regulations and guidelines. The ability to articulate these to student-athletes is also required.
• An understanding of Ashland University’s mission and goals is required. Applicants must have the ability to explain these to student-athletes.
• Requires the ability to recruit potential student-athletes. The assistant coach will work with the head coach in meeting all Ashland University roster requirements.
• Candidate will work during the tennis offseason as a camp director, helping to promote Ashland University's athletic camps. In this role, the assistant coach will work with the sports marketing director and the assistant athletic director/compliance and business in the marketing and day-to-day registration of campers.
• This position could require other assignments as assigned by the athletic director. These could include fundraising, game management and representing the athletic department at various functions.
To apply online, go to: https://www.ashland.edu/administration/content/assistant-mens-and-womens-tennis-coach
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.
• A Bachelor’s degree is required. • Candidates must have the ability to successfully impart tennis fundamentals and playing techniques. Candidates must have a thorough understanding of tennis and be able to instruct in a number of areas. • Previous coaching and/or playing experience on the college level is highly desired. • The ability to identify and recruit student-athletes is required. • This position requires well-developed communication skills, as well as strong time management and organizational skills. • The ability to work weekends and evenings is required. This position requires extensive travel, both in recruiting and to games.
About Ashland University
Ashland University is a NCAA Division II institution of more than 2,000 undergraduate students in Ashland, Ohio, a community of 22,000. The Athletic Department presently sponsors a broad-based 22 sports program and successfully competes as an NCAA Division II member in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.