Ashland University is an NCAA Division II institution that competes in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC), one of the most highly respected NCAA Division II conferences in the country. Ashland University offers a comprehensive 22-sport athletic program. The University is located off of Interstate 71 in Ashland, Ohio, midway between Cleveland and Columbus.
Ashland University is seeking applications for the position of Assistant Wrestling Coach. This position is required to recruit off campus and be involved with on-campus visits. The assistant wrestling coach will assist the head coach in developing the overall recruiting plan. The assistant wrestling coach assists the head coach in monitoring academic progress of all student-athletes on the team and working with various constituencies across campus to ensure that student-athletes receive the proper academic counseling and assistance. The position reports to the Head Wrestling Coach and the Athletic Director and could include other duties including event management and representing the athletic department at various functions.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• Teaches proper technique and skill development in wrestling. Candidate should have a complete and thorough understanding of the sport and be able to instruct student-athletes in small group and one-on-one settings.
• Has familiarity with various mental approaches in wrestling and be able to instruct student-athletes in this area.
• Ability to instruct student-athletes on physical health, team concepts and team building exercises, team development techniques and safety.
• A thorough understanding of NCAA and GLIAC rules and regulations is required. The assistant coach must adhere to these rules and help ensure that the program is in compliance with all rules, regulations and guidelines. The ability to articulate these to student-athletes is also required.
• An understanding of Ashland University's mission and goals is required. Applicant must have the ability to explain these to student-athletes.
• Helps supervise practices and is on the bench for wrestling matches. The assistant coach will be heavily involved in game-day setup, teardown and in facility preparation.
• Assists in plans for travel.
To apply online, go to https://www.ashland.edu/administration/content/assistant-wrestling-coach
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.
Position Requirements: • A Bachelor’s degree is required.
• Candidate should have previous experience coaching wrestling on the college level.
• Must have the ability to successfully impart knowledge on all areas of wrestling.
• The ability to identify and recruit student-athletes is required.
• This position requires well-developed communication skills, as well as strong time management and organizational skills.
• The ability to work weekends and evenings is required. This position requires extensive travel, both in recruiting and to competitions.
Ashland University is a NCAA Division II institution of more than 2,000 undergraduate students in Ashland, Ohio, a community of 22,000. The Athletic Department presently sponsors a broad-based 22 sports program and successfully competes as an NCAA Division II member in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.