The Mountain West Conference, located in Colorado Springs, is accepting applications for part-time, non-paid internships. Selected candidates will work approximately 20 hours a week (which may include nights, weekends and holidays) with the Strategic Communications staff. This position will provide strategic communications and media relations support for select Olympic sports. This position may be used for course credit.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE: •Primary coverage of select Olympic sports, including, but not limited to, overall sport publicity, staffing Conference championship events, distribution of weekly notes and appropriate statistical reports, and serving as liaison with appropriate MW and NCAA staff. •Assist with social and digital media updates for assigned sports. •Develop feature stories for assigned sports in conjunction with the Mountain West Network. •Create graphics and other design elements to assist with social and digital coverage of assigned sports. •Assist in the coordination of event personnel for select Conference championships. •Attend internal and external meetings as required. •Assist strategic communications team with projects as assigned. •Other duties and projects as assigned.
Applications due by August 8, 2017.
• Strong computer literacy in Photoshop, InDesign, Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Experience with Stat Crew programs and SIDEARM content management is desirable.
• Strong in written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills.
• Must demonstrate the following: a strong work ethic; effective time management skills; attention to detail; organization; responsibility, flexibility, and maturity.
• Must possess the ability to: self-motivate; work in a fast-paced environment; accept direction and constructive criticism; adapt to change and work on multiple projects.
• The ability to prioritize events and/or circumstances is essential.
• Pursuing an academic/professional career in strategic communications.
Additional Salary Information: Unpaid internship; course credit is available.
The Mountain West is located in Colorado Springs, Colo., and is comprised of 11 all-sport members and 12 football-playing institutions: the United States Air Force Academy, Boise State University, Colorado State University, Fresno State, University of Hawai`i (football only), University of Nevada, University of New Mexico, San Diego State University, San José State University, UNLV, Utah State University and University of Wyoming.